A lot of talking about AJAX
actually a breakthrough - but it allows updating a page following a server request, without reloading the entire set of data.
We propose a solution based on AJAX that has a great advantage with respect to those commonly found in Internet: calls are made to the Web Services.
- On the server side we only have to expose a Web Service with the required methods (instead of generating dynamic pages incorporating data that are based on a custom syntax or on a generic XML)
The following diagram shows the SOAP Client workflow for asynchronous calls:
The Client invokes the SOAPClient.invoke
- Web Service URL (pls note that many browsers do not allow cross-domain calls for security reasons)
- Web method name
- Web method parameter values
- Call mode (async = true, sync = false)
- CallBack method invoked upon response reception (optional for sync calls)
method executes the following operations (numbers refer to the previous diagram)
- It gets the WSDL and caches the description for future requests
- It prepares and sends a SOAP request to the server (invoking method and parameter values)
- If the call mode is async, the CallBack method is invoked, otherwise it returns the corresponding object